For this soup I used ‘Amelander’ Mustard with Cranberries. This is an artisanal mustard from Ameland, one of the islands of the Netherlands. Volunteers harvest the seeds, whereafter the local windmill grounds the beans to creamy mustard. If you are visiting the Netherlands, you should definitely go to Ameland. Not just to enjoy the beach, also to enjoy the local seafood & to buy this delicious mustard.
Mustard Soup & Dutch Dry Cured Sausage
- 1 Onion
- 1 clove Garlic
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Flour
- Pinch of Turmeric
- 3 Juniper Berries optional
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 300 gram Potatoes
- 1 liter Stock
- 4 tbsp Mustard 'Amelander // Amelandse with Cranberries'
- Spring Onion
- Dry Cured Sausage like 'Groningse Droge Worst'
- Cut the onion and garlic in slices and the potato in cubes.
- Caramelize the onion and garlic in the butter until brown and sticky.
- Add the flour and pinch of turmeric and bake this for about 5 minutes.
- Then, add the potatoes, juniper berries, bay leaf and stock. Let this mixture cook for about 30 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, cut the spring onion and the dry cured sausage in small pieces.
- Remove the juniper berries and the bay leaf, add the mustard and blend the soup until you have a creamy mixture.
- Serve the soup with the spring onion and the sausage.