These Dutch New Years Rolls are a real tradition during the New Years, in some parts of the Netherlands. Especially in the North and East of the Netherlands! The flat cookies are called ‘ Kniepertjes’ , while the rolled cookies are called ‘ New Years Eve Rolls’.
This time I filled the rolls with a salted caramel & mocha cream. However, you can flavor the cream as you like. You can also try this lemon cream recipe or these vegan rolls!
Dutch New Years Rolls with Caramel Mocha Cream
- Oublie Waffle Maker
- 3 Bowls
- Cooking Pot
- Fine Sieve
- Ice Cream Scooper
- Plastic Foil
- 250 gram Spelt Flour
- 125 gram Butter room temperature
- 200 gram Powdered Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 150 ml Water
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 tbsp Flax Seeds
- 3 tbsp Oat Flakes optional
- Pinch of Cinnamon
Salted Caramel Custard
- 150 gram Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 40 gram Cornstarch
- 400 ml Milk
- Pinch of Sea Salt Flakes
- 2 tbsp Instant Coffee Powder
- Pinch of Instant Coffee
- 400 ml Cream
- Mix all batter ingredients in a bowl. Cover with some foil and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
Salted Caramel Custard
- Add the sugar to the cooking pot. Turn the fire on a medium heat and let the sugar melt into a caramel. You don't have to stir or mix the sugar. Just make sure the fire is not too hot.
- In the meantime, you can add the egg yolks, cornstarch and 100ml of the milk to a bowl. Use a whisk to mix everything and to remove the lumps.
- Once the caramel is brown you can add 300 ml of milk and the vanilla extract. Let the milk come to a bowl and dissolve the caramel in the milk.
- Slowly pour the hot milk into the bowl with egg yolks. Use the whisk to mix the custard, whereafter you can pour everything back into the cooking pot.
- Bring the custard to a boil again and let it cook for about 3 more minutes, while whisking continuously. Flavor the custard with coffee powder and sea salt. Pour it through a fine sieve, which is placed on a bowl, and let it cool down in the refrigerator. Place some plastic foil on the custard while it is cooling down.
- Preheat the oublie waffle maker. Brush the iron with some olive oil/butter to prevent the waffles from sticking to the iron later.
- Add about a tablespoon of batter to the iron maker and close it. Bake the waffle for 1-2 minutes. If you want to roll the waffles, you need to do this directly when taking it off the heat. Roll the waffle around the end of a wooden spoon and let it set. When cooled down you can remove the spoon. Repeat this until you are out of batter.
- Whip up the cream until firm. Add a big spoon to the custard and mix it. Then fold the rest of the whipped cream through the custard. You can add some powdered sugar if you prefer a sweeter cream.
- Make sure to add the cream once your guests would like to eat a roll. Leaving the cream in the waffles too long will make the waffles sloppy. Happy new year!