These Dutch New Years Rolls are a real tradition during the New Years, in some parts of the Netherlands. Especially in the North and East of the Netherlands! The flat cookies are called ‘ Kniepertjes’ , while the rolled cookies are called ‘ New Years Eve Rolls’.
Dutch New Years Rolls with Caramel Mocha Cream
- Oublie Waffle Maker
- 3 Bowls
- Cooking Pot
- Fine Sieve
- Ice Cream Scooper
- Plastic Foil
- 250 gram Spelt Flour
- 125 gram Butter room temperature
- 200 gram Powdered Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 150 ml Water
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 tbsp Flax Seeds
- 3 tbsp Oat Flakes optional
- Pinch of Cinnamon
Salted Caramel Custard
- 150 gram Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 40 gram Cornstarch
- 400 ml Milk
- Pinch of Sea Salt Flakes
- 2 tbsp Instant Coffee Powder
- Pinch of Instant Coffee
- 400 ml Cream
- Mix all batter ingredients in a bowl. Cover with some foil and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
Salted Caramel Custard
- Add the sugar to the cooking pot. Turn the fire on a medium heat and let the sugar melt into a caramel. You don't have to stir or mix the sugar. Just make sure the fire is not too hot.
- In the meantime, you can add the egg yolks, cornstarch and 100ml of the milk to a bowl. Use a whisk to mix everything and to remove the lumps.
- Once the caramel is brown you can add 300 ml of milk and the vanilla extract. Let the milk come to a bowl and dissolve the caramel in the milk.
- Slowly pour the hot milk into the bowl with egg yolks. Use the whisk to mix the custard, whereafter you can pour everything back into the cooking pot.
- Bring the custard to a boil again and let it cook for about 3 more minutes, while whisking continuously. Flavor the custard with coffee powder and sea salt. Pour it through a fine sieve, which is placed on a bowl, and let it cool down in the refrigerator. Place some plastic foil on the custard while it is cooling down.
- Preheat the oublie waffle maker. Brush the iron with some olive oil/butter to prevent the waffles from sticking to the iron later.
- Add about a tablespoon of batter to the iron maker and close it. Bake the waffle for 1-2 minutes. If you want to roll the waffles, you need to do this directly when taking it off the heat. Roll the waffle around the end of a wooden spoon and let it set. When cooled down you can remove the spoon. Repeat this until you are out of batter.
- Whip up the cream until firm. Add a big spoon to the custard and mix it. Then fold the rest of the whipped cream through the custard. You can add some powdered sugar if you prefer a sweeter cream.
- Make sure to add the cream once your guests would like to eat a roll. Leaving the cream in the waffles too long will make the waffles sloppy. Happy new year!