One of the most comforting soups: Dutch chicken soup! And even better when the stock is homemade. It’s quite simple, so I will just share you a small how-to below:
- Chop the chicken (1 whole chicken) in pieces.
- Fry the chicken pieces in a cooking pot in some butter or olive oil until browned.
- In the meantime, you can already start prepping the vegetables. Roughly chop 2 onions, 1 carrot, 1 celery stick and 2 cloves of garlic.
- Add the vegetables, 15 peppercorns, 1tbsp salt, 2 bay leaves, 1/2 lemon, some grated nutmeg and a dried chilipepper to the pot. You can also add rosemary, thyme or another flavor bomb (like ginger) if you like! Cover with 3 liters of water. Bring to a boil and let it cook for about 2,5 hours.
- Season the stock with more salt (optional) and Dutch ‘Maggi’ (or Soy Sauce).
- Pour the soup through a fine sieve. Pull the chicken off the bones and add it to the stock.
- Let the stock cool down in the refridgerator. Remove any fat on top by dipping a kitchen paper in the stock. Make sure to use high quality as we don’t like to eat tissues..
Dutch Creamy Chicken Soup
- Cooking Pot
- Chopping Board
- 80 gram Butter
- 80 gram Flour
- 2 liters Chicken Stock
- 2 Carrots
- 3 Spring Onions
- 100 gram Peas
- Bunch of Parsley
- 100 ml Cream
- Dried Chiliflakes
- Chop the carrots in dices and the spring onions in slices.
- Let the butter melt in the cooking pot on a medium heat. When melted, add the flour. Keep stirring until your kitchen smells like freshly baked cookies.
- Then add the chicken stock, pulled chicken, diced carrot and the white parts of the spring onions. Bring to a boil and let it cook until the carrot are done.
- *If you want to make this soup more like a full meal, you can also add some rice or local grains! In that case, you can go to the next step once those are cooked.
- Then add the peas, green parts of the spring onions and roughly chopped parsley. Let it cook for another 2 minutes, whereafter you can finish the soup by adding the cream. Have a quick taste and adjust to your liking with salt, pepper, dried chiliflakes and lemon juice.