Internationally better known as French Toast, this dish was already made in ancient Rome to pimp up old bread! 🎉 A lot of cultures adopted this recipe in their culture and so did the frugal Dutch.. or should I say sustainable? 🙈
Dutch ‘Wentelteefjes’ with Baked Apple
- 2 Frying Pan
- 1 Egg
- 250 ml Milk like plant-based
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Sugar
- 4 slices Bread like old sourdough bread
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2 Green Apple
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 5 tbsp Sugar
- Splash of Lemon Juice
- Pinch of Salt
- Pinch of Cinnamon
- Mix the egg, milk and sugar in a bowl.
- In the meanwhile, chop the apples in pieces. Add a splash of lemon juice to prevent the apples from turning brown.
- Heat a frying pan and add the apple, butter, sugar, a pinch of salt & cinnamon. Fry the apples until the sugar is caramelized.
- Dip the slices of bread in the batter. Fry the toast until golden brown in butter.
- Serve with the toast with baked apples & honey!