These Dutch New Years Rolls are a real tradition during the New Years, in some parts of the Netherlands. Especially in the North and East of the Netherlands! The flat cookies are called ‘ Kniepertjes’ , and the rolled cookies are called ‘ New Years Eve Rolls’ .
The Kniepertjes, the flat version, represents last year. The year has unfolded and shown itself, like an open book. The rolled cookies stand for the upcoming year. The upcoming year is still unknown, and therefore can be seen as a closed book.
Preferring a vegan version? Have a look at my recipe for Vegan New Years Rolls, which are filled with coconut whipped cream and pistachios.
Dutch New Years Rolls
- Oublie Waffle Maker
- 3 Bowl
- Citrus Grater
- Cooking Pot
- 250 gram Flour
- 125 gram Butter
- 200 gram Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 100 ml Water or up to 100 ml more (if you like thinner waffles and a runnier dough)
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Vanilla Extract
- 500 ml Cream
- 500 gram Custard see the lemon custard recipe
Lemon Custard (500gram)
- 100 gram Sugar
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 40 gram Flour
- 380 ml Milk
- 1 Lemon
The Lemon Custard
- Let's start with the lemon custard. For this, use a whisk to mix the the egg yolks, vanilla, sugar and flour in a bowl.
- Heat the milk in a cooking pot. When it's almost boiling you can pour it into the bowl with egg yolks. Make sure to do this while stirring with a whisk. When everything is mixed, you can pour everything back in the cooking pot. Bring it to a boil again while still stirring. The mixture is ready when you have a thick custard. This will probably take about 5-10 minutes.
- Use a grater to grate some lemon zest into the custard. You can also add the juice of half a lemon. Mix the custard one more time and cover with some plastic foil. Let it cool down.
- Preheat the oublie waffle maker. Brush the iron with some olive oil to prevent the waffles from sticking to the iron later.
- Mix all the dough ingredients in a bowl. Pick one of the flavorings, like aniseed, vanilla or cinnamon, to add to the dough. If you like to make a thinner waffle, you can add a little more water to the dough.
- Add about a tablespoon of dough to the iron maker and close it. Bake the waffle for 1-2 minutes. If you want to roll the waffles, you need to do this directly when taking it off the heat. Roll the waffle around the end of a wooden spoon and let it set. When cooled down you can remove the spoon. Repeat this until you are out of dough.
- Whip up the cream until firm. Add a big spoon to the cooled down custard and mix up. Then fold the rest of the whipped cream through the custard. You can add some powdered sugar if you prefer a sweeter cream.
- Make sure to add the cream once your guests would like to eat a roll. Leaving the cream in the waffles too long will make the waffles sloppy.
- HAPPY NEW YEAR! 🥳