Time for another infusion: Rhubarb Jenever! Jenever is also called the Dutch Gin. It’s a traditional liquor from the Netherlands/Belgium, which is infused with juniper berries. For this drink I used ‘Jonge Jenever’. However you can also use vodka or gin!
- Cheese Cloth
- Fine Sieve
- 500 ml Jonge Jenever like Bokma
- 360 gram Rhubarb
- 150 gram Sugar
- ¼ Orange
- Drop of Vanilla Extract
- Slices of Ginger
- When making infusions, it's very important to use clean equipment. Therefore, let's start with cleaning the weckpot. You can either do this a. Cleaning it in cooking water or b. By leaving it in an oven of at least 100 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes.
- Once the weckpot is clean, you can let it dry and cool down.
- Clean and chop the rhubarb in thin slices. Add the rhubarb, vanilla and the sugar to the weckpot. Then you can also add some orange peel and ginger slices. I just added 2 thin ginger slices. Just as reminder, ginger can be quite sharp/spicy. Feel free to add as much ginger as you like.
- Time to add the Jenever! Close the weckpot with a rubber band of the preserving jar and make sure it is closed completely. Shake the weckpot a few times and store it on a cool dark place.
- Shake the liquor every day shortly for about one month.
After a month..
- Place the fine sieve on top of the bowl. You can use a cheese cloth or a kitchen towel as a kind of filter to sieve the liquor. Place the cloth in the sieve and pour the liquor on top. Squeeze a few times in the cloth to get all the delicious rhubarb flavors into the liquor.
- Pour the liquor in a clean bottle and keep it in the freezer. Delicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!