Who doesn’t love cookies & caramel? To me, it is a match-made-in-heaven! Maybe you have heard of the Dutch Caramel cookies before? This consist of two crispy cookies and a good layer of caramel in between. So good! So, I figured, why not put those components in a delicious breakfast tray?
Caramel & Cookies Croissant Tray
- Baking pan
- Baking Brush
- Baking Paper
- Croissant Dough XL or puff pastry
- ½ Bebogeen Jar
- 80 gram Chopped Hazelnuts
- 1 Egg
- 150 gram Icing Sugar
- Some 'Schuddebuikjes' or crumbled cookies/chopped nuts
- Preheat the oven on 356 degrees Fahrenheit or 180 degrees Celsius.
- Fold the baking paper until it has the same size as the surface of the baking pan. Add the baking paper to the pan so the croissants won't stick to it.
- Separate the egg yolk from the egg white. You can use a brush to mix the egg yolk shortly. This will be used to brush the pastries before baking. The egg white will be used for the glaze so you can keep that in the refrigerator for now.
- Divide the dough in 12 even pieces. If you bought a thin with croissant dough, you can easily divide the roll of dough in 4. Then roll out each part of dough and divide this in 3. It is important to make sure all the pastries have the same height!
- Distribute some 'Bebogeen' on the croissant dough, top with a few hazelnuts and roll up. Repeat this until you have 12 'snail shell-shaped' pastries.
- Add the pastries to the oven tray and cover these with some egg yolk. Bake the pastries for about 12-15 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Let the croissants cool down to room temperature. In the meantime, you can make the glaze.
- For the glaze, just add a little bit of egg white to the icing sugar. The best is to just start with 1 teaspoon. Mix this until white and creamy. If you notice that the glaze is still too dry, just add a little bit of egg white.
- Divide the glaze on top of the croissants and finish it with some 'Schuddebuikjes'!