An easy lunch idea: Mussels in a spicy mayonnaise! In the Netherlands we love to eat our bread or toasts with a ‘salad’. This salad is not a green salad, but it is a mix of vegetables or meat & mayonnaise. Since Mussels are sustainable and full of protein, I made this spicy Mussel ‘Salad’. However, do you have any leftover meat or chicken? Use that instead of the mussels. Serve this lunch recipe with carrots, parsley & some finely grated lemon zest.
Toast Mussels, Mayonnaise & Chili Paste
- 2 slices Bread
- 150 gram Cooked Mussels
- 3 tbsp Mayonnaise
- ½ tbsp Sambal (chili paste) or harissa
- Some Lemon Zest
- 1 Carrot
- Let's start this dish by toasting the slices of bread until golden brown.
- Mix the cooked mussels meat with the mayonnaise, finely grated lemon zest & chili paste.
- Cut the carrot in slices and the parsley very fine. Add half of the carrots and parsley to the mayonnaise mix, and use the rest for presentation.
- Serve the mussels on the warm and crispy slices of bread!