A great starter for a dinner party or the Christmas days: scallops in their own shell! I love the look of these shells, which you can most of the time buy at your local fish seller. However not able to arrange the shells? The dish will still taste delicious on a beautiful small plate. In this dish the scallops are crusted, on one side, with a hazelnuts and parsley mixture. This will add a nutty flavor, which is a match-made-in-heaven with the puree & melted butter.
Cauliflower Puree, Scallops & Hazelnuts Crust
- 4 Shells
- Blender // Food Processor
- Cooking pan
- Baking pan
- 12 Scallops
- 1 Egg
- 6 tbsp Flour
- 50 gram Butter
- 80 gram Hazelnuts
- Some Parsley or another fresh herb
- 100 ml White Wine
- Some Cress
Creamy Cauliflower Puree
- 200 gram Cauliflower
- 1 glove Garlic
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ½ Stock Cube
- 100 ml Cream
- Prepare a basket or bowl with hot water. Place the shells in the hot water to pre-heat them.
- Add the cauliflower, peeled clove of garlic, the bay leaf, stock cube and 300 ml of water to a cooking pan. Bring this to a boil, and cook the cauliflower is soft.
- In the meanwhile, you can prepare the scallops. Chop the hazelnuts and parsley very finely. Add the flour to a deep plate, the whisked egg to a deep plate and the nut & parsley mix to a plate. Dip each scallop, just on one side, in the flour, then in the egg and followed by the nutmix.
- Drain the cauliflower and remove the bay leaf. Blend the cooked cauliflower, the clove of garlic, the cream and some black pepper smooth. Keep the puree on the side.
- Since cooking the scallops will go quite quick, you can prepare the shell already. Take the shells out of the water and dry them completely. Add some lukewarm cauliflower puree to the shell.
- Time to bake the scallops and to finish the dish! Melt the butter in a baking pan, and add the scallops with the crust side up. Use a spoon to pour some of the melted butter on top of the scallops. This hot butter will cook the flour and egg on top of the scallops. Keep doing this for about 4 minutes. Then add the white wine, and place lid on top of the pan. Wait another minute and your scallops are done.
- Place 3 scallops on top of the cauliflower puree. Also add a tablespoon of the melted butter. Finish with some fresh cress and serve immediately.