From June to September, we have a special Dutch Herring season in the Netherlands. Herring which is caught during this period is also called ‘Hollandse Nieuwe’. The reason for celebrating the herring during these months is because of the quality of the fish. In the Spring more food is available for the fishes so the fishes grow during the first months of the year. In May, when the fishes have not yet reproduced, the fishes are more fatty, bigger and ‘ as experts say’ more delicious.
I am sure you have seen pictures of people who dip the herring in some chopped onion and then eat the fish by hand. That’s the traditional way of eating this fish! So, looking for the full Netherlands-experience? Try this streetfood !
Today I made this bun with ‘Hollandse Nieuwe’ for lunch. The simple chopped onions were upgraded with some chopped cucumber, herbs, lemon juice and jalapeño. However, feel free to adjust the amount of Jalapeño to your liking!
The sandwich is served with Surfin’ Sweet Chili Chips of Seamore, a Dutch business which makes delicious food items of seaweed. I’ve tried the green chips before so I was very curious to taste the difference between the two varieties! Personally I liked the seaweed flavor of the green chips, however I can also get more used to this more sweet/salty version! Looking for more recipes with seaweed?
Sandwich ‘Hollandse Nieuwe’
- 4 Buns
- 4 Hollandse Nieuwe fishes or Dutch Herring
- ½ Cucumber
- 1 small White Onion
- 20 gram Parsley or Cilantro
- ¼ Jalapeño
- ½ Lemon
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Surfin' Sweet Chili Nacho's or other delicious seaweed nacho's
The Cucumber Salsa
- Cut the cucumber and white onion in even cubes. Chop the parsley and, if you like to add any spice, some jalapeño very fine.
- Mix the cucumber, onion, parsley, jalapeño, juice of ½ lemon, olive oil, salt and pepper. Taste the salsa and add any additional flavoring to your liking.
- Use a bread knife to cut the buns open. Add a piece of fish and top with the cucumber salsa!
- Serve the bun with some of your favorite chips, like these Surfin' Sweet Chili Nacho's!