Less waste is very important for the future world! Therefore I think it is important to show that you can make something delicious of a product which you would normally throw away. In this case: Aquafaba. This is the liquid what is leftover once you took the chickpeas out of the can. For example, you can create meringues or add it in baking recipes to add more air. Looking for some inspiration? Check this meringue sandwiches recipe!
- Liquid of a chickpea can
- Apple Cider Vinegar or Lemon Juice
- Measure the amount of liquid in ml. Then measure the same amount in grams in sugar. So for example 100 ml liquid means 100 grams of sugar.
- Degrease a bowl (for example with some lemon juice and a clean kitchen towel).
Time to whisk!
- Add the liquid to the bowl and add 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar or citrus juice.
- Whisk the aquafaba until white and fluffy. It is ready once the whisked up aquafaba is sticking to the bowl. This means that you can hold the bowl upside down (without the mixture moving).
- Then add the sugar, spoon by spoon, while whisking. When the meringue is glossy and all sugar is incorporated, it is ready.
- You can use this meringue as regular meringue in any recipe 🙂