Every year I can’t wait to receive a big bag of homegrown blackberries from my grandma. These blackberries are full of flavor! And moreover, by preserving, I can enjoy this flavor whole year long.
Blackberry, Mint & Lemon Jam
- Cooking Pot
- Glass Jars (4x 250ml)
- 1000 gram Blackberries
- 500 gram Sugar
- 1 Lemon
- 2 tbsp Freshly Chopped Mint leaves
- Pinch of Salt
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- If you want to preserve food, it's very important that all the equipment is clean. Therefore let's start by cleaning the jars! Then add the jars to a great amount of cooking water, turn the heat low and cook the jars for about 20 minutes. This will remove any bad bacteria from the jars. Preferring an oven? You can also clean the jars by baking them in the oven for about 15 minutes above 100 degrees Celsius or 212 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Then, remove any damaged blackberries and clean the rest.
- Add the blackberries, sugar, juice and zest of 1 lemon to a cooking pot. Bring this to a boil and let it cook for about 10 minutes.
- If you like a chunky jam, you can use the masher the crush all the berries. Do you prefer a smooth jam? Use the blender.
- Add the freshly chopped mint, a pinch of salt and black pepper. This may sound weird, but the seasoning will add lots of flavor!
- Pour the jam in the jars. Clean any drops of jam and close the jars with the lid. To ensure that the jam is put under vacuum, you can place the jars upside down. Be careful since this may be hot!
Where to store?
- Once the jars are cooled down, you can turn the jars. Keep the jars in a dark and cool area until use. Once opened, it's best to keep the jar in the refrigerator.
- Since I love to eat the homemade jam with aged cheese, I topped my cheese croissant with this delicious jam : )