Traditionally, this French Breakfast dish consists of buttered toast, sautéed or cooked spinach, a poached egg & hollandaise sauce. However, since I still had some delicious Dutch Cheese in my refrigerator I made a very easy cheese sauce. Just as delicious and a bit easier to make in the morning.
Toast Florentine & Farmer’s Cheese
- Cooking pan
- Baking pan
- 1 Slice of Bread
- 2 hands Spinach
- 1 Egg
- 2 tbsp Vinegar
- 100 ml Cream
- 50 gram Farmer's Cheese
- Let's start with the preparations for the poached egg. 1. Add about 1 liter of water and the vinegar to the cooking pan. Bring this to a boil. 2. Break the egg in a small bowl. Be careful since you want the egg yolk to stay whole.
- You can also toast your bread already in a toaster, the oven or in a (grill)pan.
Poaching & Cooking
- Bake the spinach in some olive oil and season it with salt & pepper.
- Warm up the cream and add the grated cheese. After you added the cheese, keep stirring the sauce to ensure that all cheese is melted. Keep the sauce warm on a low heat.
- When the water is cooking, turn the heat a bit lower. Before you start to poach the egg; check the bubbles in the water. The big bubbles should be gone and not appearing anymore, very small bubbles are oke.
- Use a whisk to create a whirlpool in the cooking water. You can do this by making circular movements in the water. As soon as you have a whirlpool you can add the egg. Cook the egg for about 2 minutes or longer if you prefer. Easiest is to use a slotted spoon when removing the poached egg.
- Add the spinach to your toast, add the egg and a spoon of the cheese sauce.