One of those Christmas classics: green beans wrapped in ham! My grandma still makes them every Christmas, and they definitely belong to the classic Christmas recipes. However, since there is already plenty of food and meat during Christmas, I love to serve the green beans as a vegetarian side dish. Green beans & basil are a match-made-in-heaven! Therefore, below the most delicious recipe for the green beans with homemade walnut pesto.
Green Beans & Homemade Walnut Pesto
- Blender // Food Processor
- Baking pan
- Cooking pan
- 500 gram Green Beans
- 1 clove Garlic
- 40 gram Texels Sheep Cheese or Old Amsterdam or Parmesan
- 50 gram Basil
- 40 gram Walnuts
- 7 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Some Black Pepper
- Bring some salted water to a boil.
- Peel the clove of garlic, grate the cheese and roast the walnuts in a baking pan.
- Once the water is cooking, you can add the green beans. Cook these for about 6 minutes or until they are cooked to your liking.
- Use a blender or mortar to make the pesto of the garlic, cheese, walnuts, basil (incl. stalks) and olive oil. When you are using a mortar it can help to cut the ingredients a bit smaller before muddling.
- Once the beans are cooked, you can drain them. Keep them warm in the cooking pan. Ready to serve the beans? Add the pesto, black pepper and lemon juice. Mix this until all beans are covered with pesto.
- Serve directly.