One very popular dish, here in the Netherlands, is ‘Kibbeling’. Traditionally ‘Kibbeling’ contains of lightly coated fried cod and a sauce. Personally I try to find ways to eat more vegetables. Since cauliflower has sort of the same texture and taste as cod, it is a great ingredient to replace the fish. I really hope you will try this recipe once! If you prefer fish, you can definitely replace the cauliflower by cod. In that case, you don’t have to precook the fish but you can use it raw. Great lunch, starter or snack!
Vegetarian Dutch ‘Kibbeling’
- 600 gram Cauliflower
- 100 gram Flour
- 200 ml Milk
- 1 Egg
- ½ tsp Paprika Powder
- ½ tsp Cayenne
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tbsp Dried Selery or parsley or dill
- ½ tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Mayonaise
- 1 tsp Capers
- Some Parsley
- ½ Lemon
- ½ Shallot
Making the Sauce
- Cut the onion, capers and herbs in small pieces. Mix with the mayonaise and juice of the lemon.
- Taste the sauce and add some seasoning if you like!
- Separate the cauliflower in smaller pieces. Cook these in salted water for about 5 minutes. Drain and let the cauliflower cool down.
- Mix all the other ingredients in a bowl, and whisk all the lumps out.
- Preheat your fryer to 180 degrees Celsius or 354 degrees Fahrenheit.
Time to bake!
- Place half of the cauliflower in the mixture and stir carefully. Make sure the cauliflower is evenly coated. Then use 2 forks to take a cauliflower piece out of the mixture and in the fryer.
- Fry the cauliflower until brown and crisp.
- Serve the fried cauliflower with the sauce! Enjoy!