When it gets cold outside, stew is definitely one of my favorites! For this stew I used the meat from the farm ‘De Groene Griffioen’. On this farm the cows have a dual purpose; milk and meat. Moreover these cows get the leftovers grains from the local windmill as nutrition. A great sustainable farm which I love to support. And the meat tastes so great, especially in this stew recipe!
Stew, Mashed Potatoes & Crispy Kale
- Cooking pan
- Puree Squeezer
- 400 gram Meat for stew; like Chuck Roast or Flat Iron Steak
- 4 tbsp Flour
- 50 gram Butter
- 1 Onion
- 3 Sundried Tomatoes
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 Bay Leaves
- 2 Cloves
- 100 ml Red Wine
- 400 ml Stock
- Pinch of Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Apple Syrup
Potato Puree Ingredients
- 700 gram Crumbly Potatoes
- 1 tbsp Butter
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- 150 ml Milk
- Some Kale
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Pinch of Salt
- Cut the meat in small cubes, the onion in rings, the sundried tomatoes in smaller pieces and take-off the outside of the clove of garlic.
- Mix the cubes of meat in a bowl with the flour. Make sure all the cubes of meat are covered with a thin layer of flour.
- Heat the butter in a cooking pan, and add the onion. Bake this until the onions are glossy and caramelized.
- Add the meat cubes, and bake them brown.
- Then you can add the red wine. Use a spatula to scrape the flour off the bottom of the pan. You want to do this to make sure the flour doesn't burn during the cooking process.
- Then add all other stew ingredients, except the apple syrup.
- Let it cook for about 2,5 hours. Make sure to take off the lid the last hour so the sauce boil down.
The Potato Puree
- Peel the potatoes, and cook them in a small amount of water. You can also steam the potatoes for this!
- Then crumble the cooked potatoes with the puree squeezer. Add the nutmeg, butter, milk and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix until you have a creamy potato puree.
- Preheat your oven on 100 degrees Celsius or 212 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Clean and dry the kale. Use some scissors to cut the kale leaves in smaller sizes.
- Mix the kale leaves with some olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Bake the kale leaves for 35 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Add the apple syrup to the stew and mix it.
- Serve the stew with the kale crisps, puree & mustard.