This bonbon is normally made with puff pastry, and served during the winter! However since I love phyllo dough, a healthier version below! This recipe is made with olive oil instead of butter. Preferring butter? Use some melted butter instead of olive oil. Nevertheless, it will create a delicious sweet!
Christmas Bonbon of Phyllo Dough
- 300 gram Almonds
- 300 gram Sugar
- 1 Egg white
- Sprinkle of Rum
- 1 package Phyllo Dough
- 70 ml Olive Oil
- 1 Egg Yolk
- Some Almond Chips
- Let's start with blanching and cleaning the almonds. Add the almonds to a heat resistant bowl and covered with cooking water. Leave the almonds for 10 minutes in the water. Then drain them and rub them clean with a dishcloth. In this way you can easily remove the brown layer.
- Add the almonds and sugar to the blender and blend until you have a fine crumble. Next, add the egg white and rum, and blend again. The paste is ready when it sticks together and forms one big ball.
- Preheat the oven on 180 degrees Celsius or 356 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place a sheet of phyllo dough on your clean kitchen counter. Use a brush to divide a thin layer of olive oil on the sheet. Then add the next sheet and brush again. Continue this process until you have about 10 sheets done.
- Make a big sausage of the almond paste, place it in the middle of the sheets and press it lightly down. Pack the almond paste in the dough however keep the round side on top.
- Brush the bonbon with some egg yolk. Add some almond chips decoration, carefully brush some egg yolk on those too.
- Bake the bonbon for about 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Keep your eyes on the oven, since the baking will go very fast.
- Enjoy a slice of sweet with your next cup of coffee or tea!