These mini cookies are traditionally eaten during ‘Sinterklaas’. This Dutch feast is celebrated on the evening of the 5th of December. During ‘Sinterklaas’, we celebrate the birthday of St. Nicolaas by giving your loved ones gifts!
Dutch Spelt ‘Pepernoten’
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- 130 gram Unsalted Butter plant-based
- 130 gram Brown Sugar
- 60 gram Almond Flour
- 200 gram Spelt Flour
- 1 tbsp Flax Seeds
- 2 tbsp Water
- 1,5 tsp Baking Powder
- 1,5 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1,5 tsp Ground Cloves
- ¾ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- Pinch of Salt
- Preheat the oven on 180 degrees Celcius or 356 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the unsalted butter, sugar, flours, flax seeds, water, spice mix and baking powder.
- Mix the dough until form. If the dough is too dry, feel free to add another tsp of water. Let the dough cool down for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Divide the dough in a lot of small balls and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake the 'pepernoten' for about 15-20 minutes and let them cool down.