I love this bolognese sauce! It is one of my favorites for either spaghetti, lasagna or even in a grilled cheese sandwich. For this recipe the meat is replaced by chestnut mushrooms. These mushrooms give the sauce a real savory/umami flavor. In that way you can still enjoy a great pasta bolognese, but in a much healthier way!
- Cooking pan
- Kitchen Processor
- 9 Lasagne Pasta Sheets
- 1 Mozzarella
- 7 Cherry Tomatoes
- Chili Flakes
- 2 Carrots
- 1 Onion
- 1 Celery Stick
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 300 gram Chestnut Mushrooms
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Some Thyme
- 350 ml Passata
- 150 ml Red Wine
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 6 tbsp Olive Oil
- 200 ml Stock like vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 500 ml Milk
- Cut the celery, onion and carrots in small cubes. And cut the garlic in slices.
- Use a food processor with a blade to cut the mushrooms very small. If you don't have a foodprocessor, you can just slice the mushrooms very fine by hand.
The Bolognese Sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a baking pan, and add the onion, garlic, celery and carrot cubes.
- When the onion turns glassy, add the mushrooms, thyme and bay leaves.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are brown. Then add the flour and keep stirring to make sure the flour doesn't burn on the bottom of the pan.
- After 5 minutes, add the red wine and let the mixture cook for another 5 minutes.
- Then add the stock and passata, and let the sauce cook for 1 hour on a low heat.
- In the meantime you can make the bechamelsauce! Melt the butter in the cooking pan and add the flour. Mix and bake this until it smells like freshly bakes cookies.
- Then add salt, pepper and the milk. Use a whisk to mix everything and to remove any lumps.
- Preheat the oven on 390 degrees Fahrenheit or 200 degrees Celsius.
- Add some bolognese sauce to the oven dish. Top with a layer of pasta sheets. Repeat these steps until you are out of sauce or pasta sheets 😉
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and tear the mozzarella in smaller pieces.
- Top with the bechamelsauce, torn mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and some chili flakes. Bake the lasagna for about 45/50 minutes in the preheated oven. Top with basil just before serving!