I am so thrilled to share this: Mackerel Bacon! The mackerel skin is something many people throw away. However there is so much flavor in the mackerel skin, that I figured: we can do better! So on this one specific morning I added the mackerel skin to a non-stick baking pan, and baked it until crispy. And I need to say: it is a delicious addition to my toast & scrambled eggs! Are you going to try this next time?
Toast, Lemon Scrambled Eggs & Mackerel Bacon
- Non-stick Baking Pan
- Baking pan
- 2 Slices of Bread
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Mackerel Skin
- Bunch of Fresh Herbs
- Break the eggs in a bowl, and whisk until mixed.
- Toast your slices of bread in a toaster, panini grill or in the oven.
- Place the mackerel skins in the non-stick pan, and turn the heat on a low/medium. Important is not to touch them! Only when you noticed that the bottom is completely crispy, you can quickly turn them.
- In the meanwhile, you can wash and chop all the fresh herbs.
Almost breakfast time!
- Once the bread is toasted, and the mackerel skins are crisp, you can start with the scrambled eggs. Add the egg mixture to a baking pan and add the lemon juice, salt & pepper. Keep turning the eggs around with a spoon or spatula. When the eggs are almost done, you can add the fresh herbs.
- Spread some butter on the warm toast, add the warm scrambled eggs, and top it off with crispy mackerel skin!