I love custard as dessert! In the Netherlands we call it: “Vla”. You can get this custard in all kind of flavors; like banana, strawberry and even rum raisins. Since I bought some cherries on the farmers’ market, I added those. However feel free to substitute these for other seasonal offerings!
Vanilla ‘Vla’, Cherries & Chocolate
- Cooking Pot
- Fine Sieve
- 1 liter Milk
- 75 gram Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 40 gram Cornstarch
- 2 Eggs
- 400 gram Seasonal Fruits
- 50 gram Dark Chocolate
- Break the eggs in the bowl, and add 200 ml milk, the sugar, cornstarch and vanilla extract. Use the whisk to mix all these ingredients.
- Heat the rest of the milk in the cooking pot until hot.
- Once the milk is hot, you can pour it in the bowl. Make sure to whisk at the same time. The warm milk will heat the eggs and you want to make sure they cook evenly.
- When everything is mixed, pour everything back in the cooking pot. Turn the heat on a medium and bring the 'vla' to a boil. Again, while stirring the mixture.
- Let the 'vla' cook for about 3-4 minutes while you still keep stirring. Good for the arm workout! 🙂
- Pour the vla, once thickened, through the fine sieve to remove any lumps. Cover the 'vla' with some kitchen foil, and let it cool down completely. To fasten this, you could place the bowl in the refrigerator.
- Serve the vanilla 'vla' with the cherries and chopped dark chocolate!