A great and delicious way to eat more healthy, vegetarian and sustainable; a toasted sandwich with seaweed. Seaweed contains a lot of minerals and its umami taste goes hand-in-hand with cheese. To enhance the ‘Japanese’ flavor profile, this toasted sandwich is served with Japanese Style Mayonaise.
Looking for a surprising grilled cheese sandwich? Try this Nori Grilled Cheese Sandwich!
Nori Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 4 Slices of Bread
- 4 Slices of Cheese like Gouda Cheese
- 2 Nori Sheets
Japanese Style Mayonaise
- 3 tbsp Mayonaise
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- Chili Oil or Chili paste optional
- Sesame Seeds optional
- Heat the (grill)pan or panini grill.
- Place half of the cheese on 2 slices of bread. Tear the nori sheets in smaller pieces and add to the cheese. Top off with more cheese and the slices of bread.
- Grill the sandwiches until the cheese is melted and the bread is brown and toasted. If you don't have a grill, you can also bake the sandwiches in some olive oil or butter in a regular pan.
Making the sauce
- Whisk the mayonaise, soy sauce and sesame oil in a bowl. If you like spicy, you can add some chili oil or dried chili as well.
- Add the sesame seeds to the mayonaise.