A real comfort food dish: Pasta Pesto! For this recipe I used chicken filet from a local farmer. To make the chicken taste even better, I covered it with flour, egg and almond flour. However, you can also use crumbled cornflakes, chips or breadcrumbs instead of almond flour.
Pasta Pesto & Crispy Local Chicken
- Frying Pan
- Cooking Pot
- 150 gram Pasta
- 1 Zucchini
- 120 gram Cherry tomatoes
- 1 Shallot
- 60 gram Green Pesto
- 2 tbsp Creme Fraiche
- Pinch of Dried Chiliflakes
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 4 tbsp Flour
- 1 Egg
- 100 gram Breadcrumbs or almond flour, panko or crumbled cornflakes
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- Grated Cheese
- Fresh Basil
- Bring a large amount of water to a boil. When it cooks, add ½ tablespoon of salt. Turn the oven on and adjust the temperature to 200 degrees Celsius or 390 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the zucchini in even pieces, the tomatoes in half and the shallot in small cubes.
- Then it is time for something fun 🙂 Cover the chicken breasts with some plastic foil. Use a rolling pin (or a frying pan) to beat the chicken breasts into thinner chicken fillets. In this way the chicken cooks quicker and more even.
- Add the flour to a bowl, break the egg in a small bowl and whisk it with a fork. Mix the breadcrumbs with salt, pepper and some olive oil.
- Dip the chicken in the flour, then in the whisked egg and, last but not least, in the breadcrumbs. Place the chicken on the baking tray.
- When the water is boiling, you can add the pasta. Cook the pasta following the instructions on the package.
- Roast the chicken in the preheated oven until brown, cooked and crispy. This probably takes about 10 minutes.
- Pour some olive oil in the frying pan, whereafter you can add the chopped shallot. When the onion is glossy, it is time to add the zucchini and tomatoes. Cook the vegetables until the zucchini is nicely browned.
- When the pasta is al dente (almost cooked through), you can drain the pasta. Transfer half a soupspoon of cooking liquid to the frying pan. This will help thicken the sauce.
- Add the pesto, some chiliflakes and creme fraiche to the frying pan as well. Bring the sauce to a boil and let it cook for a minute. Then add the pasta and mix everything.
- Serve the pasta with the crispy chicken, fresh basil leaves and cheese.