This vegan spice cake is flavored Dutch Cookie Spices. Like pre-scripted in old Dutch Cookbooks, the base for the Dutch Cookie Spice mix is cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. However, bakers always turn their own twist on this spice mix. So often the spice mix also contains cardamom, black or white pepper and ginger.
Dutch Spice Cake
- Nonstick Bread Pan (Cake Baking Pan)
- Non-stick Baking Paper
- Cooking Pot
- 250 gram Brown Sugar 1 ¼ cup
- 200 ml Plant-based Milk 1 cup minus 2 tbsp
- 250 gram Flour 2 cups
- 1½ tsp Baking Soda
- 50 gram Currants about ¼ cup
- Pinch of Salt
- ½ cup Almond Flakes
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground Cloves
- ½ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- ½ tsp Ground Ginger
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- Butter the cake tin and add a non-stick baking paper to the bottom of the tin. This will make sure the cake is easy to remove after baking.
- Pour the milk into the cooking pot. Add the sugar and heat the milk. Let the sugar dissolve in the milk while stirring.
- Preheat the oven on 160 degrees Celsius or 320 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the sugar is dissolved in the warm milk, you can add the spice mix and a pinch of salt.
- In another bowl, add the flour, baking soda and currants. Mix until all currants are covered with a thin layer of flour.
- Then pour in the milk and sugar and mix the batter until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the baking tin. Cover the batter with some almond flakes and bake for about 1 hour in the preheated oven.
- Traditionally the cake is served with butter!