During the autumn season I love to bake! Since I still had some sweet potato left, I decided to add it to the batter. Not only to add sweetness, but also to add moisture to the bundt cakes. After adjusting the recipe a few times, they turned out like this ?
When I was living in the States (Atlanta, Georgia), we used to serve caramelized pecans in the lounge. By adding some cayenne pepper, these nuts are sweet & spicy. I think the combination with espresso glaze and sweet potato is perfect!
Sweet Potato Bundt Cake with Espresso Glaze
- Cooking Pot
- Potato Masher
- Fine Sieve
- Bundt Cake Baking Pan about 3.38oz per cavity
- 150 gram Sweet Potato
- 1 Egg
- 120 gram Sugar
- Zest of Orange
- 2 tbsp Milk or 2 tbsp orange juice
- Pinch of Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 6 tbsp Olive Oil
- 160 gram Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 250 gram Powdered Sugar
- 1 Espresso
- 100 gram Pecans
- 50 gram Powdered Sugar
- 1 tbsp Water
- Pinch of Salt
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper or smoked paprika powder
- Pinch of Black Pepper optional
- Pinch of Cinnamon optional
- Peel the sweet potato and cut in cubes. Steam or cook the sweet potato until cooked through.
- Preheat the oven on 180 degrees Celsius or 356 degrees Fahrenheit.
- And grease the baking pan with oil or butter.
- Add the powdered sugar and spices to a bowl. Add a tablespoon of water and mix everything. Then add the pecans and mix until all pecans are coated. If the powdered sugar mixture is still too crumbly, you can add a teaspoon of water.
- Divide the pecans in an oven dish. Roast them in the oven for about 15 minutes or until caramelized and brown.
- Break the egg in the bowl. Use a whisk to whip up the egg until pale yellow and foamy. Then add the sugar spoon by spoon and pour in the olive oil, both while whisking. Then add the zest of an orange, milk, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Mash the cooked sweet potato into a puree.
- Mix the mashed potato with a third of the egg mixture. Then fold in the rest of the mixture. Try to keep the batter as light/fluffy as possible.
- Use a five sieve to add the flour and baking powder to the batter. When everything is mixed, you can divide half of the batter into the bundt cake baking pan (unless you have a baking pan that fits 12 mini bundt cakes)
- Bake the bundt cakes for 18 minutes in the preheated oven. Repeat until you are out of batter.
- Mix the powdered sugar first with half of the espresso. You want to have a glaze that it not too runny, but thick enough to stay on its place on the pastry. So add more espresso (little by little) until you reached that consistency. If the glaze is still too thick, you can add a little bit of water. It is easy to add too much water, since just a little bit of moisture is needed to make the glaze. So be careful when adding the moisture, and stir well!
- Dip the cooled down cakes in the glaze and top with the pecans!