This Indian rice dish is amazing! It was recommended by one of my Indian colleagues at work, and I loved the dish. However, since some ingredients are not available I swopped a few ingredients. If you can’t find the black mustard seeds, feel free to replace it by a teaspoon of spicy mustard or yellow mustard seeds.
For this recipe I used locally sourced chicken from ‘de Zeeuwse Kip’. This energy-neutral farm is located in ‘Zeeland’. A great area to visit when traveling to the Netherlands!
Indian Lemon Rice & Curry Chicken
- Oven dish
- Cooking Pot
- Non-Stick Frying Pan
- 2 Chicken Thighs
- 4 tbsp Yogurt
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika Powder
- 150 gram Basmati Rice
- 2 Dried Chili's
- Piece of Fresh Ginger about 3cm or 1.2 inches
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Turmeric Powder or fresh turmeric
- 1 tbsp Black Mustard Seeds
- 1 tbsp Red Split Peas optional
- 3 tbsp Peanuts
- 15 Curry Leaves or use (kaffir) lime leaves or 4 bay leaves
- 120 gram Cooked Chickpeas
- ½ Lemon
- Bunch of Cilantro
Want to add more vegetables?
- Few hands Spinach Leaves add these when adding the chickpeas
- Add all the curry chicken ingredients to a bowl. Then add the chicken thighs and cover them with the yogurt. Marinate the chicken for at least 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven on 200 degrees Celsius or 392 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the oven is hot, you can place the chicken thighs in the oven dish. Roast them until cooked and golden brown. This will take about 45 minutes to one hour. This depends on the size of the chicken thighs.
- Add a splash of oil to the cooking pot. Then add the dried chilies, grated fresh ginger, salt and turmeric powder*. Fry this for about 2 minutes, whereafter you can add 150 grams of basmati rice. *If you are using bay leaves, you can add those too in this step
- Pour in 300 ml of water and bring it to a boil. Let the rice cook until the water is absorbed. This probably takes about about 8 minutes.
- Add some sunflower oil to the non-stick frying pan. Then fry the black mustard seeds, red split peas, 3 tablespoons of peanuts, 15 curry leaves* and 120 gram of cooked chickpeas for about 2 minutes. When using mustard, you can better at it when mixing everything.
- When the rice is cooked, you can add it to the non-stick frying pan. Mix everything and add lemon juice to taste (about 1 or 2 tablespoons).
- Finish the dish with fresh cilantro and a few slices of lemon. Serve with the roasted chicken!