Pearl Barley Salad with Ras el Hanout Dressing
- Cooking Pot
- Sauce pan
- 80 gram Pearl Barley
- 400 ml Stock or regular water with a pinch of salt
- 300 gram Pumpkin
- 200 gram Brussel Sprouts
- 150 gram Chickpeas
- 15 Mint Leaves
- Some Sesame Seeds optional
- 1 Orange
- ½ Lemon
- 1 tsp Ras El Hanout Spices
- 6 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 clove Garlic
Quickly Pickled Red Onion
- 1 Red Onions
- 4 tbsp Vinegar
- Cut the pumpkin in cubes of about 1x1cm or 0.4×0.4 inches. After, clean the Brussel sprouts and cut them in half.
- Let's make the quickly picked onion: Remove the outer layer of the onion and chop it in half. Then cut the onion in slices and add to a bowl. Pour in the vinegar and a pinch of salt. Let the onions marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Pour the stock in the cooking pot. Add the pearl barley and let it cook for about 30 minutes.
- After 15 minutes of cooking time, you can add the pumpkin cubes. When there are just 5 minutes cooking time left, you can add the Brussel sprouts.
- For the dressing: Add the olive oil, some grated garlic and the ras el hanout spices to the sauce pan. Heat this for about 30 seconds to activate all the bright spices.
- Then add the juice of an orange, lemon juice and some salt and pepper.
- When the pearl barley and vegetables are cooked you drain them. There won't be much liquid left, so this is just to remove the leftover water.
- Mix the drained barley and vegetables with the chickpeas, chopped mint leaves, sesame seeds and dressing. Take some red onion rings and add those the salad as well. Enjoy!