As you may know, in the Netherlands, we love sandwiches & fried food. This dish combines the two. Because the bun is fried, the bun is crispy on the outside and soft and delicate on the inside. This Dutch Shrimp ragout can also be served in small pastries or with a side of rice. Nevertheless, this is a really good option as heartwarming comfort food.
As bun I used Dutch ‘beschuitbollen’ , however you can also use another type of soft white bun. The bun should be a ‘ sealed bag’ for the sauce so that the ragout doesn’t end up in the fryer. So you don’t have to cut open the whole bun. It is better to create a small opening, through which you can fill the bun. The recipe for the Dutch Shrimp Ragout can be found here
Dutch Fried Sandwich
- Fryer or frying pan
- Frying Pan
- 2 Bowls
- 4 Buns
- 1 Dutch Shrimp Ragout
- 2 Eggs
- 200 gram Panko or breadcrumbs
- Make the Dutch Shrimp Ragout following the recipe.
- Preheat the fryer on 180 degrees Celsius or 356 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the eggs to a bowl and whisk until mixed. To make things easier later on, you can also put the panko in a bowl.
- Use a knife to cut a small opening in the bun. Move the knife from left to right to create a 'pocket'. Then scoop the ragout into the bun.
- Cover the filled bun with some egg, whereafter you dip it in the panko. These layers will ensure a real crispy bun! To make sure that the bun is sealed, you can dip the side of the opening once more in the egg and panko.
- When all buns are filled and sealed, it is time for frying! Fry the buns in the hot oil until golden brown and crispy.
- Sprinkle a little bit of salt on top of the buns and serve!