During the holidays this Dutch Shrimp Cocktail is a real standard within the family. To create the best possible shrimp cocktail, I made the whiskey sauce with some whipped cream. Because by adding some whipped cream, you will get a very airy sauce!
For this sauce I used an Irish Whiskey, since this whiskey is a little bit more smooth. However, you can also use a more smoked whiskey like, one of my favorites, Lagavulin Whiskey!
Dutch Shrimp Cocktail & Whiskey Sauce
- 4 Cocktail glasses
- 200 gram Dutch Shrimps
- 80 gram Samphire optional
- 1 Little Gem Lettuce
- Some Chives
- 4 tbsp Cream
- 2 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Whiskey
- ½ tsp Sambal or another chili paste
- ¼ Lemon
- Wash the samphire and chop in 1 cm pieces. You can also wash and dry the lettuce and cut the little gem in at least 10 parts.
- Divide the samphire over the four cocktail glasses, whereafter you can place the Dutch shrimps on top. Put some lettuce parts in the glasses as well.
- Mix the mayonnaise, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, whisky, sambal and lemon juice in a bowl. Use a fine grater to grate some lemon zest. You can also add that to the sauce.
- In the other bowl, whip the cream. When firm and fluffy, you can mix the cream with the rest of the sauce. To keep the sauce as airy as possible, gently fold the cream into the mayonaise/ketchup mixture.
- Top the shrimps with the sauce and some chopped chives!