Because of the spices and flavorings, I love Turkish Pizza! Most of the time I order the Turkish Pizza with grilled cheese, lettuce mix and a spicy sauce like Sriracha or Sambal. However, for this version I topped the Turkish pizza with Grasshopper Kebab. I used the Grasshopper Burger for this from ‘De Krekerij’. This Dutch company is making future proof food products of grasshoppers and crickets. By adding some spices to the chopped burgers, these burgers turn into delicious crispy kebab!
Turkish Pizza ‘Lahmacun’ & Grasshopper Kebab
- Food Processor
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Rolling Pin
- Oven dish
- 40 gram Corn Meal (I used the Corn Meal of P.A.N.)
- 210 gram Flour
- 1½ tsp Active Dry Yeast
- 210 ml Water lukewarm
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Lineseed
- 1 tsp Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 200 gram Chestnut Mushrooms normally the turkish pizza is topped with minced meat, I replaced it by the chestnut mushrooms
- 1 Onion
- 1 Grilled Bellpepper like the grilled bell pepper from a jar (or use 3 tablespoons of Ajvar)
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 tbsp Soja Sauce
- 1 tsp Corn Starch
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika Powder
- ½ tsp Cumin
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Ground Cloves
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- Some Dried Chiliflakes
- 2 Grashopper Burgers
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika Powder
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander
- Sliced Lettuce
- Grated Carrots
- Add all dough ingredients to a bowl and mix through. Knead the dough on a clean surface until the dough feels soft and stretchy. This will probably require about 10-15 minutes of kneading.
- Sprinkle some additional corn meal in the bowl, add the ball of dough and top with more corn meal. Cover the bowl with a moist kitchen towel. Let the dough rise on a warm spot in the house for about 1 hour.
The Lahmacun Sauce
- In the meantime: The Sauce! Brush the dirt from the mushrooms and chop them in quarters. You can also removed the outer skin of the onion and garlic and chop those roughly as well.
- Add all the ingredients to the food processor. Turn the machine on and off until the mixture is finely chopped. You don't want to turn on the machine for a long time. Doing that will result in a very fine mushrooms puree which is not what we are looking for today.
- When the dough is doubled in size, you can cut the dough into 4 pieces. Shape the pieces of dough in circles and place those on the parchement paper on the baking sheet. Cover with the moist kitchen towel and let them proof for another 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven on 200 degrees Celsius or 428 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the grasshopper burger in half and then in thin slices. Mix the slices of burger with the spices and some olive oil. Add the meat to an oven dish and grill for about 5 minutes in the oven.
Baking the Pizza
- Turn the oven to 220 degrees Celsius or 428 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten the risen dough balls until they have a diameter of about 20 centimeters.
- Transfer the dough back to the baking sheet. Use the back of a spoon to spread the sauce on the dough.
- Bake the pizza for 6 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Serve the pizza with all the toppings, fresh cucumber sauce and chili!