In different areas of the Netherlands this lazy cake is a real classic as dessert or pastry. It all started when a Dutch Oil Factory was creating recipes for their products. Their mascot was called ‘Arretje’, a young kid who had many adventures. Besides the adventures, Arretje also made recipes. Recipe number 100 is this ‘Arretjescake’ 🙂
Since I don’t really like to serve raw eggs, I chose to make a vegan version. Traditionally this sweet is made with cacao, butter, sugar, eggs and biscuits. However, this time I made the cake with chocolate, peanut butter, coconut oil and cookies. It still firms up like a regular lazy cake and I love the addition of peanut butter to this cake! Looking for more sweets? Add some mini marshmallows, nuts or dried fruits!
Vegan ‘Arretjescake’ with Speculoos Cookies
- Cooking Pot
- Heat Resistant Bowl
- Loaf Tin
- Baking Paper
- 200 gram Dark Chocolate
- 150 gram Peanut Butter
- 50 gram Coconut Oil
- 150 gram Lotus Speculoos Cookies
- Some Nuts or Dried Fruits
- Cacao Powder
- Place the baking paper in the loaf tin so that you can easily take out the lazy cake once ready.
- Add a layer of water to the cooking pot and bring this to a boil.
- Break the cookies and chocolate bars in chunks.
- Once the water is cooking, you can turn the heat on low/medium. Place the heat resistant bowl on top of the pot. Add the chocolate chunks to the bowl and let it melt completely.
- Mix the melted chocolate with the coconut oil and peanut butter until you have an even consistency. Then add the cookies and other sweets and mix again.
- Pour the chocolate mixture in the loaf tin. In order to remove big air bubbels, I like to press in the cake with the back of a spoon.
- Then it's time for the cake to have some rest. Let the cake set for at least 6 hours in the refrigerator.
- Cut the lazy cake in cubes and top with some cacao powder!