You may have noticed already that I love cheese! Cheese making, and eating ;), is definitely part of the Dutch culture. During the Middle Ages Dutch cheeses were already exported. And since that time, the Netherlands became known for its cheeses.
On this pizza, I choose the following Dutch cheeses: Kernhem, Extra Belegen, Boerenkaas and Garlic & Sundried Tomato Cheese. The Kernhem Cheese is a washed-rind cheese, which gives the cheese a mild distinctive flavor. I would describe the cheese as soft, creamy & nutty. Due to its aromatics I think it is a great combination with the other cheeses.
As second cheese: Extra Belegen. This is a Dutch type of cheese, which typically has a maturation period of 7 to 8 months. This results in a tasty and full-bodied cheese!
The third cheese is Boerenkaas [translation: ‘Farmers Cheese’]. Cheese only gets this name when its made on a farm from local milk. It is an important note to mention that the milk should be produced by cows that are located within five kilometers of the farm itself. Due to the fact that the real do and don’t are passing on within Farmer families, this cheese making craft is on the list of Intangible Heritage Inventory!
Last but not least, Garlic and Sundried Tomato Cheese. In the Netherlands, we love to spice up our cheeses. Not only herb cheeses, but also lavendel or pesto cheeses. So whenever you visit the Netherlands, you need to taste at least a few! This garlic cheese is really delicious on this pizza 🙂
Dutch Four Cheeses Pizza
- Cheese Grater
- 2 Plain Cauliflower Pizzadough
- 100 ml Passata
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 80 gram 'Kernhem' Cheese
- 80 gram 'Boerenkaas' Cheese
- 80 gram 'Extra Belegen' Cheese
- 80 gram Garlic & Sundried Tomato Cheese
- 10 Cherry tomatoes
- Some Spring Onion
- Preheat your oven on 200 degrees Celsius or 392 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the passata with the olive oil and oregano. You don't have to add any salt and pepper, since the cheese will add the saltiness already! If you like spicy, I would recommend you to add some dried chili flakes to the passata. Love it!
- Wash the cherry tomatoes and cut them in half.
- Use a spoon to divide some passata on the pizza dough. Grate the cheeses on top of the sauce and top with a few cherry tomatoes.
- Bake the pizza for 10-12 minutes in the preheated oven. The pizza is ready when the dough is cooked through and all the cheeses are melted.
- Serve the pizza with some chopped spring onion. 'Eet Smakelijk!'