French Toast, or ‘Wentelteefjes’ as we call them in the Netherlands, are a great way to use leftover bread. However sometimes I am just in a savory mood, so I decided to make this cheesy version. And to be honest, I am in love with this recipe.. Cheesy & crispy.
My favorite cheese for this dish is Dutch ‘Beemster’ cheese. The ‘Beemster’ cows graze on the Beemster Polder, an area near Purmerend. This polder has a clay soil which gives the grass a specific salty flavor. Moreover this polder is part of the World Heritage collection!
Cheesy French Toast
- Frying Pan
- 4 slices Bread
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 80 gram Cheese
Savory French Toast Mix
- 1 Egg
- 200 ml Milk
- 1 tsp Dried Italian Herbs
- Some Black pepper
- Mix all the ingredients for the savory french mix in a bowl. Since the cheese is quite salty, I don't add any additional salt to the mix.
- In the meanwhile, you can melt the butter in the frying pan on a high heat.
- Once the pan is hot, you can dip the bread in the egg mixture. Cover the bread completely whereafter you transfer it to the pan. Bake the toasts until brown on both sides.
- Then the twist: add some grated cheese to the top of the baked toasts and turn around. Bake this cheesy side again, until the cheese is crispy. Repeat this step also for the other side of the toast.
- Serve the toast with tomatoes and chives!