The best comfort food: mashed potatoes & gravy. Want to know my secret ingredient for the best gravy? I love to use some Dutch Apple Syrup. However, if you don’t have any apple syrup, you can also use some ketchup. Delicious!
Mushrooms & Gravy
- Baking pan
- 175 gram Chestnut Mushrooms
- 400 ml Mushroom Stock or vegetable stock
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 50 gram Plant-based Butter
- 2 tsp Cornstarch
- 2 tsp Apple Syrup or use date syrup or ketchup
- First of all, let's clean the mushrooms. You could cut the mushrooms in half, however that's up to you! As I used mini mushrooms, I didn't cut them.
- Melt the butter in a baking pan and add the mushrooms. Bake these until brown and baked.
- In the meanwhile, you can prepare the gravy. Mix the cold stock, cornstarch and apple syrup until you have a lump-free mixture.
- Once the mushrooms are ready, you can transfer them to a bowl. You can leave the melted butter in the pan.
- Add the gravy mixture and the bay leaf to the baking pan. While stirring with a whisk, you need to bring this to a boil. Once thickens, you can add the mushrooms again.
- To finish this dish, I always add some fresh herbs. One of my favorites is chives!
- I love to eat these mushrooms & gravy with mashed potatoes. However, you can also serve them with bread or rice!