Custard is a typical Dutch dessert! We call it: “vla”. In the supermarket there is a great variety in flavors. For example chocolate, rum raisins, banana or strawberry. Most of these custard are made with the use of egg yolk. However, you can easily make this custard vegan! In this recipe I skipped the egg and replaced the milk with Dutch Oat Milk. Nevertheless, if you still have any regular milk in the refrigerator you can use that!
- Cooking pan
- 750 ml Oat Milk
- 30 gram Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp Plant-based Butter
- 3 tbsp Cacao
- 6 tbsp Honey (or use ginger syrup)
- 1 tbsp Vanille extract
- 100 gram Chocolate (your favorite vegan chocolate or other type of chocolate)
- Add all the ingredients, except the chocolade, to your blender and blend till smooth. If you prefer a sweeter custard, you can add more syrup to the mix! Is your butter not on room temperature? Then it is better to add the butter during the cooking process.
- In the meanwhile, you can chop the chocolate in small pieces.
- Bring the mixture to the boil while you stir continuously. Once the custard is cooking, let it cook for about 3 minutes. However, make sure to keep stirring since you don't want the custard to burn. The "vla" is ready when it is thicker and creamy.
- Add 80 gram of chocolate to the custard and mix.
- Transfer the custard to a bowl, and cover it by placing plastic foil directly on the custard. This will prevent the formation of a sheet on top of the custard. Let it cool down completely!
- Serve the "vla" with chopped chocolate!