Lately I was approached by Violife, a company which is producing vegan cheeses. They make not only Greek White cheese, but also Cheddar, Parmesan & Mozzarella. Since I love cheese, I was really curious to this vegan cheese. I heard of vegan cheese before, however I never tried it. So time to give it a go!
For this dish, I used the vegan Greek White cheese, which is comparable to feta cheese. As you can see on the picture above, the cheese is white and looks like regular cheese. And even though you taste a small difference, it is delicious. My family didn’t noticed that it was vegan cheese 😉
Since I love a sweet and salty mix, and added a some diluted Dutch apple syrup. However, you can also use balsamic glaze!
Sweet Potatoes, Brussels Sprouts, Apple Syrup & Vegan Greek White Cheese
- Cooking pan
- Sauce pan
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- 200 gram Brussels Sprouts
- ½ Zucchini
- Peas I used frozen peas
- 70 gram Walnuts
- 100 gram Vegan Greek White Cheese
- 2 tbsp Apple Syrup or use balsamic glaze
- Cut the sweet potatoes and zucchini into 1 inch cubes. Remove the outer leaves of the Brussels sprouts by cutting off the stem end. Cut them in half.
- You can also already roast the walnuts in a baking pan. Once roasted, you can place the walnuts and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Make sure not to leave them in the pan since they can still burn.
- Add cold water, sweet potatoes and salt to a cooking pan. Bring this to a boil and let the potatoes cook for about 7 minutes. Then add the Brussels sprouts and let everything cook for another 4 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, you can bake the zucchini in some olive oil.
- If you are using apple syrup you can add this and 10 tablespoons of water to the baking pan. Turn the heat on a medium and stir around until you have a smooth and sticky sauce. If you are using balsamic vinegar, you don't have to dilute or heat the glaze.
- Just before draining the sweet potatoes & Brussels sprouts, you can add the peas. Cook these for about 1 minute, and then drain all the vegetables.
- Add the vegetables to an oven dish or a deep plate and top with the walnuts. Finish the dish with crumbled vegan cheese & apple sauce!