Let take the sandwich with cheese to a new level: by adding some fermented vegetables! This doesn’t only add taste but also good bacteria and vitamins. Moreover I love the combination of salty cheese, slightly acid vegetables and spice mayonnaise. Do you prefer a toasted sandwich? You can also grill this sandwich, which is just as tasty.
This sandwich is made with the Beet Fermented Cabbage of Kouchi Jars. Kouchi Jars is a start-up in Amsterdam specialized in making fermented vegetables. The two female founders of this company decided to turn leftover into delicious crunchy snacks. Their mother is from Ukraine, where fermenting vegetables is a common thing to do. Especially during the winter, since getting fresh vegetables was hard during that time of the year. The business started when they decided to ferment vegetable leftovers. In the beginning they handed these out to friends and family. Nowadays, they are working on turning it into sustainable business. Look on their instagram for the latest updates!
Sandwich Fermented Cabbage, Aged Goat Cheese & Mustard Mayonnaise
- 2 slices Bread
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1,5 tbsp Mayonnaise
- Some Fermented Cabbage
- Aged Goat Cheese or another salty cheese
- Place the fermented vegetables in a fine sieve, which is placed in a bowl. Drain them for about 3 minutes. If you prefer to be faster, you can also dry the fermented vegetables by using high quality kitchen paper.
- Mix the mustard & mayonnaise.
- Add the mayonnaise to one slice of bread. Then you can add the cheese, fermented cabbage, chives and the second slice of bread.
- Enjoy, or toast this until golden brown!