In the Netherlands, a lot of researchers, universities and farmers are working together to create a more sustainable food system. Since the amount of people are increasing and the climate is changing, it is important to look into a new way of cooking and eating. Therefore I was at the World Food, where I met Christiaan from Microgreens Holland. Microgreens Holland is a company providing microgreens in a wide variety of flavors. These greens grow quick, have a great flavor and have high nutritional values. A real local superfood!
This salsa is made with the mustard microgreen. This microgreen may be a small plant, however it is packed with flavor. The spicy flavor goes great with the green apple, chives and lemon!
Panfried Salmon, Parsnip Puree & Microgreens Salsa
- Baking pan
- Cooking pan
- 2 Salmon Filets
- 200 gram Parsnip
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 150 ml Cream or use some cooking water of the parsnips
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- ½ Green Apple
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- ½ tray Microgreens Mustard
- Bring some water to a boil (to cook the parsnips in).
- Peel the parsnips and cut them in slices. The thinner the faster the cooking process.
- Season the salmon filets with salt & pepper, and leave aside to marinate.
Cooking & Baking
- Once the water is cooking, you can add the parsnips and the bay leaf. Cook everything for about 15-20 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, you can make the salsa. Chop the green apple in small cubes and cut the chives very fine. To make sure that the apple doesn't become brown, you need to add the lemon juice directly. Mix the apple cubes, chives and lemon juice.
- When the parsnips are cooked, you can remove the bay leaf. Blend the cooked parsnips with the cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg & (if you like) some additional cooking water. Pour in the liquid during the blending so you can adjust the thickness of the puree to your liking.
- Heat a pan and a few tablespoons olive oil to the pan. When the pan is hot, you can add the salmon filets. Do you have salmon filets with skin? Make sure to place the salmon filets skin side down in the pan. Bake the skin until brown and crispy. To cook the salmon completely, you can bake the salmon shortly on the other side.
- Add parsnip puree to the plate and add the salmon.
- Then you can finish the apple salsa with the star of this dish: microgreens! Top the salmon with the apple salsa, and then add the mustard microgreens. These plants are quite spicy, so add how much you like!
- Serve the salmon with bread, a salad or some roasted potatoes. Enjoy your meal!