Ever tried a vegetarian stew? Try this one! This stew is made with beets instead of meat and still packed with flavors. Due to the sweet earthy flavor of the beets, they are a great meat substitute, healthy and sustainable. I really love this version and you really won’t miss the meat. Give it a go!
Beet Stew & Mashed Potatoes
- Cooking pan
- Cooking pan
- Pur4ee Squeezer
- 400 gram Beets
- 100 gram Mushrooms
- 50 gram Butter
- 3 tbsp Flour
- 1 Onion
- 1 clove Garlic
- 100 ml Red Wine
- 400 ml Stock
- 5 Sundried Tomatoes
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Cloves
- Pinch of Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Apple Syrup or date syrup or other type of syrup
- 500 gram Floury Potatoes
- 1 tbsp Butter
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- 100 ml Milk
- Cut the onion in cubes, the garlic and mushrooms in slices and the sundried tomatoes in small pieces. Clean, peel and cut the beets in parts.
- Add the butter to a cooking pan, and add the onion, garlic and mushrooms. Let them caramelize on a low heat for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Then add the flour and keep stirring the mixture. Whenever it smells like fresh baked cookies, add the red wine. Use a wooden spoon to scrape the flour off the bottom of the pan. Then add the stock, beets, bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon and sundried tomatoes.
- Bring the stew to a boil, put the fire on a low-medium heat and let it cook for an hour.
The Potato Mash
- Clean and peel the potatoes. Cut them in even sizes, so all potatoes will be cooked at the same time. Then cook the potatoes for about 20 minutes in a little bit of water.
- When cooked, drain the potatoes. Use the puree squeezer (or another tool) to crumble the potatoes. Mix them with milk, pinch of nutmeg, butter, salt & pepper.
- You can keep the potato puree warm in the cooking pan. Ready to serve? Put the heat on again, and warm up the puree while stirring.
- The last finishing touch to the stew; the apple syrup! Add a good tablespoon of this syrup or another syrup to the stew. Stir until well-blended, and taste to see if it needs any more seasonings.
- Serve the beet stew with the mashed potato puree.