Chestnut is one of those perfect autumn ingredients! You can harvest them in the woods and process them to a flour, as a puree or in a pie. Make sure that whenever you are going to harvest, you know exactly which one to pick. Some types of chestnuts are NOT edible! To make sure you have edible chestnuts, I would recommend you to buy them at your local grocery/store or to go on tour with a guide who has knowledge about it. Depending on the recipe, you can also use chestnut flour or chestnut puree. This recipe is made with chestnut flour!
Chestnut pancakes, Nuts & Sweet Apples
- Crepe Pan
- 2 Eggs
- 160 gram Chestnut Flour
- 100 gram Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 400 ml Milk
- ½ Lemon
- Pinch of Cinnamon
- 60 gram Mixed Nuts
- 2 Sweet Apples
- Honey to serve
- Use a blender or kitchen processor to blend the egg, milk, sugar, cinnamon, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, lemon zest, flours, baking powder and a pinch of salt.
- Leave this mixture for 30 minutes on room temperature.
- In the meanwhile, cut the sweet apples in parts and nuts in half.
- Heat the pan until medium hot and melt some olive oil in the pan. Add the batter in small portions, making 3 pancakes in the pan at the time.
- When the pancakes are bubbling away, turn around to shortly bake on the other side.
- Place the pancakes under some thin foil while baking the others. Just to make sure you keep them warm.
- When you finished your batter, add the apple parts to the pan. You want to quickly bake them in 1 tablespoon of honey. However, this is optional. You can also eat the warm pancakes with the cold apple! Whatever you prefer 😉
- Serve the pancakes with the chopped nuts, apple parts & honey.