I was inspired by the more traditional French Nicoise Salad for this recipe. However I wanted to create a salad in which there was no fish. Since I love fresh herbs, I replaced the tuna by feta cheese & basil. These two ingredients taste delicious with the tomatoes and haricot verts. You can easily take this salad with you to a picknick or for a to go lunch. Just a few ingredients, easy recipe and great flavors!
Vegetarian Nicoise Salad
- Cooking pan
- 1 Little Gem or Romaine lettuce
- 1 Eggs
- 200 gram Haricot Verts
- 10 Cherry Tomatoes
- ½ Onion
- 60 gram Feta Cheese
- 20 Basil Leaves
- 2 tbsp Vinegar
- 6 tbsp Walnut Oil
- Cut the onion in thin slices, take the ends of the haricots verts and cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Let the onion marinate in some salt and the vinegar. This vinegar will be used later as well for the salad dressing.
- Take the leaves from the little gem or romaine lettuce and wash quickly under cold water.
- Layer the lettuce in a bowl, and tomatoes, basil leaves & feta.
- Cook the egg to your preferred cooking point. Easiest thing is to add the haricot verts the last 4 minutes of the cooking time.
- In the meanwhile, you can make the dressing. Place the marinated onion on the salad and add the walnut oil to the vinegar. Whisk with some salt & pepper.
- When the haricot verts and egg are cooked, drain them under cold water. Peel the egg and cut in 4 pieces. Add the haricot verts to the dressing, and mix through.
- Add the egg and haricot verts to the salad, and pour over some dressing. Enjoy!