Sandwiches and cheese are two of the most common food items in the Netherlands. There is a great variety of cheese available which makes each cheese sandwich a different story. For this sandwich I used “Gooische Pikante” Cheese. This is a cheese which has been aged for 12 months, and therefore has salt crystals in the cheese. However the cheese is still flexible and doesn’t fall apart, like a lot of other aged cheeses. Great cheese & great sandwich!
Toast Aged Cheese, Creme Fraiche & Sweet Chili Sauce
- 4 slices Bread tip: sourdough or rye bread
- 4 tbsp Creme Fraiche
- 4 tbsp Sweet Chili Sauce
- Handful Chives
- 10 Cherry Tomatoes
- 6 slices Aged Cheese
- Spread a layer of creme fraiche on all slices of bread, and add the sweet chili sauce on top. Make sure to use a spoon or another utensil to prevent the whole bottle to go on the sandwich.
- Use some scissors to cut the chives in small pieces, and sprinkle them on top of the sweet chili sauce.
- Add the slices of delicious cheese.
- As finishing touch, slice some cherry tomatoes and place those on top.