Macaroni Casserole is one of my favorites! It is easy to make & it is a great comfort food. Moreover, this version is extra healthy since I used whole grain pasta and pureed cauliflower in the sauce. By adding pureed cauliflower the sauce becomes more creamy and flavorful. You will love it!
Mac & Cauliflower
- 140 gram Macaroni uncooked
- ½ Cauliflower about 300 gram
- ½ Stock Cube
- Some Nutmeg
- 250 ml Milk
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Flour optional
- 150 gram Young Matured Cheese or another cheese which is still meltable
- 200 gram Chestnut Mushroom
- Bunch of Parsley
- Bunch of Chives
- Handful Walnuts or other nuts
- Preheat the oven on 200 degrees Celsius or 392 degrees Fahrenheit.
The Mac & Cheese
- Cook the macaroni and cauliflower in salted water for about 10 minutes.
- Blend the cooked cauliflower, milk, nutmeg and stock cube to a smooth paste.
- Add the olive oil and flour to a baking pan, and bake (while stirring) for about 5 minutes. Then add the cauliflower paste and turn off the heat. Add the macaroni to the paste and stir until well-mixed. Taste a bit to see if the dish still needs any more seasoning (salt or pepper). Then place the macaroni mixture in an oven dish and top off with the cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- In the meanwhile, cut the mushrooms, chili, nuts and fresh herbs.
- Just before the dish is ready, bake the mushrooms in some olive oil with salt&pepper.
- When the dish is ready, top it off with the baked mushrooms, nuts, chili and fresh herbs. Enjoy!