Pickling is a great way of preserving the fresh summer fruits. I am sure you have heard about sweet and sour pickled vegetables. However, I saw a vintage Dutch recipe of sweet and sour cherries and directly wanted to make it. The sweet & sour thing really adds another dimension to the cherries! Great for savory use, with vanille waffles or on in a cheese cake dessert.
Sweet Sour Cherries
- Cooking pan
- 250 gram Cherries
- 250 gram Sugar
- 250 ml Vinegar
- 8 Cloves
- 1 Cinnamon Pipe
- Pinch of Salt
- Bring the vinegar, sugar, cloves, cinnamon and the pinch of salt to the boil in a cooking pan.
- Let it cook for 5 minutes so all flavors are released and the sugar is dissolved. Then let the sugar/vinegar mixture cool to room temperature.
- Remove the cores from the cherries and cut them in half. Add them to a clean weckpot (of at least 500 ml).
- Whenever the vinegar mixture is cooled down, add to the cherries.
- You can keep the cherries in the refrigerator until you need them for any sweet or savory recipe!