This sweet from Indonesia is a very popular item in the Netherlands. Besides the Indonesian restaurants, we also have a lot of Toko’s (International stores) were this cake is available. This Indonesian “Spekkoek” is a layered spiced cake. In this recipe you will find specific spices, however you can even add more spices like mace, anise or even cacao. Since this dish needs some attention during the baking time, it does take some time. However I love the effect of the different colors and layers. You can it this sweet with the tea or coffee, or you can serve it with Vanilla ice cream for dessert.
Layered Cake “Spekkoek”
- Pie Baking Tin
- 5 Eggs
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 90 gram Flour
- 220 gram Butter
- 180 gram Sugar
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 2 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Grounded Gloves
- ½ tsp Grounded Cardamom
- Edible Paint
- Flavorings [optional] additional flavorings like pandan or banana extract
- Preheat the oven on 180 degrees Celsius or 356 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To prepare the baking: 1. Butter the baking tin using a baking brush and some butter. 2. Make sure one bowl (for whisking eggs) is fat free. Just clean the inside of the bowl with the kitchen paper and some lemon juice. 3. Separate the egg yolks and egg whites.
- Add the egg whites to the fat free bowl. Whisk the egg whites for about 10 minutes, or until the egg whites are completely whisked up and not moving in the bowl anymore. Then add half of the sugar, a tablespoon at the time, to this mixture, and whisk until the sugar is incorporated.
- In another bowl, whisk 170 gram of butter and the rest of the sugar. Add a egg yolk at the time, until all the egg yolks are added to this mixture. Then add 40 grams of flour and 4 tablespoons of egg white mixture. When nicely mixed, add the rest of the flour and 3 tablespoons of the egg white mixture. The rest of the egg whites need to be added to the mixture as well. However, you want to make sure you fold the egg whites in the mixture in order to keep the air in the egg whites.
- Separate the mixture in a few different bowls (depending on your color choices). Give each mixture a different color, and make sure you add the spices to the different mixes. If you want to use any other flavorings, you can add those as well.
- Time to bake! Use a soupspoon to make sure you have the same amount of mixture every time. Add the first layer to the baking tin. Spread the mixture in the tin with a spoon in order to make a thin layer of dough. Bake for about 5/7 minutes or until the dough is getting a bit brown. Then take out the tin and brush the top of the cake with some butter. Then add another layer (and another color) of mixture, and bake for another 5/7 minutes. Brush with butter again, and add another layer. Continue until you don't have any mixture left anymore. For the last layer of my cake I mixed the different colors and baked it on 180 degrees for 5 minutes. Then turn the oven to 150 degrees Celsius or 302 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for another 7 minutes.
- Wait for the cake to cool down, and then cut in small pieces. Enjoy!