Dutch people love butter and that’s probably why these meringues were filled up with butter back in the days. I love the flavor of the creamy butter and light meringue! Looking for another recipe with butter? Press here to read the recipe of the traditional Butter Cookie.
If you are using the No Waste Meringue, you can easily make this recipe in a vegan way. Make the meringue as in the No Waste Meringue and then continue at step 3. One of the nice things about this recipe, is that you can personalize it. For example, you can add coloring or flavoring aroma’s to either the butter mixture or to the meringue. My two favorite combinations are Mokka and Vanilla Nut! Loving Mokka? Add some cacao to the meringue and some instant coffee to the butter mix. For Vanilla Nut style: Add some nut aroma to the meringue and some vanille to the butter creme! I’m very curious to your results! Feel free to share on instagram @dutchfoodheritage !
Butter Cream Meringue
- 4 Egg whites
- 100 gram Sugar
- 200 gram Butter plant-based
- 100 gram Powdered Sugar
- Flavorings like cacao powder, instant coffee powder, vanille or aroma's
- Preheat oven on 100 degrees.
- Whisk egg whites till white and fluffy. When fluffy, add 100 gram sugar spoon by spoon.
- Create heapes of egg whites and bake for 1 hour. Then turn off the oven and leave the meringues in the oven for another hour.
- Mix butter and powdered sugar till white and fluffy.
- Add your flavorings.
- Add the butter creme to one side of the meringue and top it off with the other meringue!