Back in the days, I used to drink this syrup everyday. ‘Roosvicee’ (a brand) is a very known drink in the Netherlands. However, as I understood, the syrup is also very popular in the United Kingdom. If you have never made this syrup before, you have to try! Making your own syrups is a great way to make (non-)alcoholic drinks/cocktails. You will love the rosehip and raspberry combination!
Rosehip Raspberry Syrup
- Cooking pan
- 560 gram Rosehips
- 1,3 liter Water
- ½ Lemon
- 150 gram Raspberries
- Cut of the tops of the rosehips and place chop in smaller pieces. You van best use gloves for this, since it can sting.
- Place the rosehips in a cooking pan with 600 ml water. Bring to the boil, let it cook for about 5 minutes, and then turn off the heat. Leave for 15 minutes.
- Strain the rosehips and keep the cooking liquid in a clean bowl.
- Place the rosehips back in the cooking pan with 700 ml of clean water, the raspberries and juice and peel of 1/2 lemon. Bring to the boil, let it cook for 5 minutes and then turn off the heat. Let it sit for about 15 minutes.
- Strain the liquids through a cheese cloth or a fine sieve into the clean cooking pan. Let the liquid reduce by a third.
- Add the sugar to the cooking liquid and let it cook until all sugar is dissolved. Let it cool before you drink it. You can keep the syrup in your refrigerator for about 5 days. (If you add more sugar, the syrup can be kept good for longer)
- Drink with water and some additional lemon juice, or make a virgin drink by mixing this syrup with some Bitter Lemon!